A list of texts and resource materials for language teachers available for book reviews in TLT and JALT Journal. Publishers are invited to submit complete sets of materials to Steve Fukuda at the Publishers’ Review Copies Liaison address listed on the Staff page on the inside cover of TLT.
* = new listing;
! = final notice
Final notice items will be removed July 31. Please make queries to the appropriate JALT Publications contact using the contact form above.
Books for Students (reviewed in TLT)
Alpha English — Kizuka, H. Tokyo: Macmillan LanguageHouse, 2014. [12-unit four skills remedial course for lower level learners incl. online teacher’s manual and classroom audio].
* Arts and Society — Wakeling, E. Tokyo: Nan’un-do, 2015. [14-unit reading and writing based course with a focus on contemporary society and culture].
! Business Plus — Helliwell, M. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2014. [3-level integrated skills and business English course w/ TOEIC® style practice sections incl. teacher’s manual and downloadable audio and supplementary worksheets].
The Dynamic Interplay between Context and the Language Learner — King, J. (Ed.). London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015. [Edited volume of conceptual papers and empirical studies to consider how contextual factors interact with learners influencing L2 learning and usage].
! Getting Global! Engineer Your Future with English — Tsujimoto, T., Noguchi, J., Miyama, A., Mukuhira, A., Kirimura, R., & Murao, J. Tokyo: Kinseido, 2015. [24-unit course aimed at developing global language skills incl. teacher’s manual w/ class audio].
* I am Me! Getting to Know Yourself through Language Learning — Fukuda, S. T., Pope, C. J., Sakata, H., & Fukumori, T. Nagoya, Japan: Perceptia Press, 2014. [15-unit integrated skills course for pre-intermediate students with units centered on self-discovery and personal development].
* Interactive Writing: Practical Writing Skills for the Digital Age — Charles LeBeau. Tokyo: Macmillan LanguageHouse, 2014. [12-unit a beginner to low-intermediate practical writing course incl. downloadable teacher’s manual].
Longman Academic Reading Series — Various authors. White Plains, NY: Pearson, 2014. [5-level academic reading course for college focused on effective reading, vocabulary building, note-taking, and critical thinking incl. online teacher’s manual w/ quizzes].
* On Board for More World Adventures — Berlin, S., & Kobayashi, M. Tokyo: Kinseido. 2015. [15-unit reading and listening course focused on the topic of world Englishes incl. teacher’s manual, classroom DVD, and classroom audio cd].
! Open Your Eyes through News in English — Watanabe, A., & Ishii, T. Tokyo: Sanshusha, 2015. [14-unit course reading course incl. teacher’s manual w/ class audio and webpage access].
* Raise Your Score 150 Plus on the TOEIC® Test — Matsuoka, N., & Sobajima, K. Tokyo: Shohakusha. 2016. [20-unit test preparation course with 10 listening, 10 reading, 20 grammar review sections incl. teacher’s manual and classroom audio cd].
Reading Explorer (2nd edition) — Various Authors. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning, 2015. [6-level reading course created with National Geographic Learning incl. online workbooks, student and instructor ebooks, and assessment CD-ROM with ExamView].
* Stretch — Stempleski, S. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014. [4-level series focused on 4 skills plus viewing and presentation skills w/ videos provided by BBC Worldwide Learning incl. student book w/ online practice, workbook, DVD, classroom audio CDs, teacher’s resource pack].
! Sure — Hobbs, M., & Keddle, J. S. Crawley, UK: Helbling Languages, 2015. [4-level course of integrated themes within a grammar syllabus aligned with CEFR, Cambridge English, and Trinity exams incl. student workbook, teacher’s book w/ class audio, and access to SURE cloud on e-zone].
* The Thinking Train — Puchta, H., & Gerngross, G. Crawley, UK: Helbling Languages, 2015. [5 interactive picture books for young learners incl. online teacher’s manual w/ resources and worksheets and online mp3 audio].
Books for Teachers (reviewed in JALT Journal)
* Language for Specific Purposes — Gollin-Kies, S., Hall, D. R., & Moore, S. H. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan. 2015.
* Academic Writing Step by Step: A Research-based Approach — Candlin, C. N., Crompton, P., & Hatim, B. (Eds.) Sheffield, UK: Equinox. 2015.