The Faculty of Global and Regional Studies, Doshisha University in Kyoto, invites applications from candidates with native English-level proficiency for five-year limited contract positions to begin in April 2024.
The Faculty of Global and Regional Studies at Doshisha University in Kyoto will have two openings for a five-year limited contract position, beginning in April 2024.
Rank: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor, depending on qualifications
Contract period: From April 1, 2024, to March 31, 2029 (non-renewable)
Qualifications and application conditions (all of the following must be satisfied):
1) First language is English or equivalent English proficiency
2) Holder of a Master’s degree or above in the area of English language education (TESOL) or in an academic field related to any English-speaking culture
3) At least three years of English teaching experience at the university level
4) Sufficient Japanese proficiency for general administrative tasks
5) Resident of the Kinki area of Japan during the contract period
6) At least three publications at the time of the application deadline
1) Courses: English and/or culture-related courses, at all undergraduate levels and for all faculties in the university, at the Imadegawa and/or Kyotanabe Campuses
2) Teaching load: A minimum of eight 90-minute classes per week.
3) Administrative responsibilities: Involvement in curriculum design and planning; study-abroad programs; language counseling; registration, invigilation, and entrance examination-related duties. You may be requested to teach classes and participate in committee work on Saturdays.
1) Curriculum vitae (履歴書, rirekisho), a list of academic publications (業績書, gyousekisho), and a list of your previous work experience within The Doshisha (職務経歴報告書, shokumukeireki houkokusho) [if not applicable, please write “なし”], for which the necessary forms can be downloaded from our job announcement (“Limited-Contract Teaching Position, Beginning April 2024 English Division, Faculty of Global and Regional Studies, Doshisha University”), posted on the JREC-IN Portal page： https://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop?ln=1
2) PDF files of TWO academic publications, together with a Japanese synopsis (about 800 characters) for each publication
3) A statement in English (approximately 1,000 words), explaining your reasons for applying, including your personal philosophy/comments regarding teaching methods.
4) Materials pertinent to your teaching prowess, such as student evaluations, syllabi, and awards in PDF form.
5) PDF copy of the diploma of the highest degree achieved (Master’s or Doctorate)
6) PDF copy of TESOL diploma/certificate (if available)
7) PDF copy of the document(s) certifying qualification at a certain level of the JEES Japanese Language Proficiency Test or similar measurement of Japanese proficiency (if available)
Deadline for application: Application materials must arrive by 17:00 (JST) on Friday, July 7, 2023, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Application Materials (Contract Position)” in the subject line.
We will confirm receipt of your application materials by email. However, please be aware that a certain amount of time may elapse before we are able to contact you.
Please note the following with regard to the selection process:
1) After receipt of your initial application materials, we may request that you send us the originals of all your publications (e.g., such as the journal in which your article appears) via postal mail for further screening.
2) Upon completion of the initial screening procedures, successful candidates will be interviewed in English and Japanese and asked to give a demonstration lesson. The interview will be scheduled between late August and early September. At that time, we will request to see the originals of degree certificates/diplomas. During the interview, each candidate will also be briefly examined on their reading ability in Japanese. There is the possibility of a web interview.
3) For candidates requested to come to Doshisha for an interview, partial funding for transportation costs may be available according to the faculty’s regulations.
4) Candidates will be notified of the results upon completing the selection process.
5) Applicants should provide contact details if they plan to leave Japan during July, August, and/or September or change their address in Japan during the above period.
6) For the University’s position on an equal opportunity, please refer to its Diversity Statement at the following URL:
Faculty of Global and Regional Studies
Faculty home page: https://gr.doshisha.ac.jp/
Doshisha University home page: https://www.doshisha.ac.jp/
Application documents will be stored and managed in strict confidence, and will be destroyed responsibly after the screening process is complete. Personal information contained in the application documents will not be used for any purpose other than the selection process in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Law.