The Department of English at the Sophia University Junior College Division in Hadano, Kanagawa, has an opening for a full-time teaching position (non-tenured lecturer) starting April 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach six 100-minute class sessions each week (six koma) each semester, or a similar combination (e.g., five koma in spring semester and seven koma in fall semester). Courses to be taught may include required or elective English courses, Seminar on a theme of the teacher’s own choosing, and a lecture course (senmon kamoku) related to the teacher’s area of academic expertise. Must be able to commute to Hadano campus and teach in person in the classroom.
2. Serve as student advisor regarding academic and career matters.
3. Carry out committee work and other administrative/non-teaching duties.
1. Salary and benefits: Based on Sophia School Corporation’s rules and regulations. Salary, biannual bonuses, transportation allowance, research allowance, and health insurance will be based on Sophia School Corporation’s rules and regulations.
2. Contract: One-year contract renewable annually up to three years in principle.
*The maximum period of employment in the new full-time contract
can vary depending on personnel planning and curriculum needs.
3. Beginning date: April 1, 2023.
Qualifications and Requirements:
1. Have at least a Master’s degree in linguistics, TESOL, cross-cultural studies, global studies or a related field.
2. College/university-level teaching experience and ability to teach a variety of courses in English.
3. Academic publications in a specialized field.
4. Native-level proficiency in English.
5. Sufficient Japanese ability to perform student advising, committee work, and other administrative/non-teaching duties.
1. Curriculum vitae, including a list of academic publications/conference presentations.
2. Proof of MA or higher academic degree (e.g., copy of diploma or transcript).
3. Copies of two academic publications.
4. Cover letter.
5. Names and contact information of two people who can serve as references.
※ All documents should be in English.
1. Send application materials to:
Chair, Academic Affairs Committee
Sophia University Junior College Division
2. Short-listed applicants will be interviewed and asked to teach a demo lesson at Hadano campus or via Zoom, depending on circumstances, starting in mid-January, 2023.
Applications must be received by January 5, 2023.
firstname.lastname@example.org Chris Oliver Chair, Academic Affairs Committee Sophia University Junior College Division