The Bridge Program is a 3-tiered entry-level university program for non-native English-speaking undergraduate students who need additional academic and linguistic support before matriculation. There is a need for instructors of academic writing for 2022 fall semester.
There is a need for instructors of academic writing for 2022 fall semester. These courses run from August 29 through November 28. Courses meet every Tuesday and Thursday for a total of 24 sessions. Classes are scheduled at some time between 8:00 and 19:45 and run for 120 minutes each. Classes are capped at 12 students, 80% or so of whom are Japanese and 20% from other non-English-speaking countries.
The syllabus for this course will be set in terms of format, learning outcomes, course objectives, and types of assignments. However, course calendars and specific assignments or lesson plans will not be provided in full; instructors are responsible for the majority of their own course preparation in consultation with the program’s academic coordinator.
For more information see: https://www.tuj.ac.jp/ug/admissions/bridge.html
● Attend orientation meetings before the semester begins (approximately 2 hours)
● Collaborate and meet with the program’s academic coordinator periodically
● Effectively teach the brainstorming, outlining, drafting, writing, reflecting, critiquing, and revising skills necessary for academic writing in an American university
● Conference with students during office hours (1 hour per course per week required)
● Give feedback on student work
Qualifications & Experience
● Master's degree or higher in English or another directly applicable and relevant field; ABD or doctorate preferred.
● Native-level speaker of English
● More than two years of university teaching experience preferred
● Knowledge of the U.S. college system preferred
Review of applications will begin immediately. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with
1. a cover letter highlighting relevant experience and what appeals to you about the position,
2. full academic/professional c.v.,
3. two references and their contact information.
Indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the email subject box. Also, we would appreciate it very much if you could let us know from which website/resource you found out about this position.
Only those applicants who make it past the initial review will be contacted.