The Center for Multilingual Education at Osaka University is currently seeking a faculty member to contribute to the development and administration of on-demand online English language courses for first- and second-year undergraduates.
Limited-term full-time position.
Work location: 1-8 Machikaneyama-cho, Toyonaka, Osaka, Japan.
Research fields: Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Applied Linguistics, other Second Language Education related fields, Educational Technology.
(1) A doctoral degree or equivalent experience in the above research fields;
(2) Excellent research achievements;
(3) Business level or above Japanese language proficiency;
(4) At least two years of English language teaching experience at higher education level.
Applicants with experience in:
(1) Teaching using LMS;
(2) Processing large-scale data using Excel or other statistical software packages;
(3) Quantitively analyzing teaching and learning outcomes.
Duties include: 1) Development and administration of online English courses; 2) Data-processing of students’ learning activities and performance records; 3) Teaching of face-to-face English courses; and 4) Other administrative duties in the center and Osaka University.
Starting date: October 1, 2022 (or September 1, if preferred).
Term of Employment: From the above starting date to March 31, 2023.
*Following completion of the term, the contract may be extended subject to evaluation (the extension limit is 10 years from the starting date).
Probationary Period: 6 months.
Employment form: Based on “38. Regulations Pertaining to Working Hours, Holidays and Leave for National University Corporation Osaka University Limited Term Staff.”
*The Discretionary Labor System, Special Work Type will be applied (Working hours: 8 hours a day).
Salary and Benefits: Based on “47．Salary Regulations for National University Corporation Osaka University. Limited Term Staff Subject to New Annual Salary System.”
Insurance: Medical insurance and employee’s pension insurance of the Federation of National Public Service Personnel Mutual Aid Associations; Employment Insurance; Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance.
Application must be written in English or Japanese and include the following:
Electronic documents (to be submitted by email in PDF format):
1. Curriculum Vitae
*Using the designated university education/ research position form, available below: https://www.osaka-u.ac.jp/en/news/employ/links
2. List of research achievements (using following headings: Research Articles, Books, Conference Presentations, and Others (Please specify whether each item is peer-reviewed or not)
3. Three principal publications (Attach 150-word summary to each publication)
Note: Mark(*) these three principal publications on the above research achievements list
4. Name, affiliation, and email address of one professional referee who can be contacted (the referee should not be the same person writing the letter of recommendation below)
5. Statement of prospective contribution to the job duties specified in “6. Responsibilities” above and future research plan (to be written in Japanese within two A4 pages)
6. For applicants whose mother tongue is not Japanese, photocopy of Japanese proficiency certificate, e.g. JLPT N1, if any.
Paper documents (to be submitted by post):
Only submission documents that are not readily convertible into electronic forms, such as books, theses, and dissertations. One copy each.
Letter of recommendation (Either by email or post):
•When sent directly by recommender, email the signed recommendation letter as a PDF file. Postal submission is also acceptable;
•When sent directly by applicant, send the sealed envelope letter by post.
*Personal information in the application documents will only be used for the purpose of screening and hiring procedures, and will not be disclosed to any third party.
**Submitted application documents will, in principle, not be returned.
Document screening and interviews. Selected applicants will be notified of interview schedule within three weeks, in principle, after the application deadline.
*Travel and accommodation expenses for interview are to be covered by the applicant. For applicants residing overseas, or those having difficulties visiting Osaka University with good reasons, an online interview may be requested.
**Unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted.
Send the submission documents as attachment to:
koguchi.ichiro.hmt[AT]osaka-u.ac.jp (Replace [AT] with @.)
*Write “Application for CME faculty position Associate Professor (Lecturer)” in the
**Implement full security countermeasures for the submission documents.
Attention: Professor Ichiro Koguchi
Center for Multilingual Education, Osaka University
1-8 Machikaneyama-cho, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-0043 JAPAN
*Write “Application for CME faculty position Associate Professor (Lecturer)” on the envelope in red ink.
**Use registered mail.
Professor Ichiro Koguchi
koguchi.ichiro.hmt[AT]osaka-u.ac.jp (Replace [AT] with @).