The Interdepartmental English Language Program at Dokkyo University has openings for part-time English instructors, beginning April 2021.
1. Position: Part-time lecturer
2. Number of positions: Multiple
3. Classes to be taught: Academic Listening Strategies, Academic Reading Strategies, Speaking in Academic Contexts, etc.
4. Teaching days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (1 or 2 days per week)
5. Appointment: Beginning on April 1, 2021
6. Term of employment: 1 year (until March 31, 2022); renewable yearly
7. Qualifications and application requirements:
(1) Master’s degree or higher, with experience teaching at a university or equivalent institution
(2) Specialization in English education, applied linguistics, or related field
(3) English ability sufficient for teaching in English
(4) Japanese ability sufficient for handling university-related administrative matters
(5) Instructors who already have an appointment with another English program at Dokkyo University cannot apply for this position
8. Salary and benefits
Salary: based on the Dokkyo University pay scale
Transportation: paid in accordance with university regulations (includes upper-limit)
Other: health insurance, unemployment insurance not provided
9. Departmental affiliation: Teachers will belong to the Faculty of Economics, but will teach courses in the Interdepartmental English Language Program (See “Additional information” below)
10. Application process
Please use the JREC-IN Portal Web application function (https://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop?ln=1). All the application materials must be submitted as a single PDF file. Please include a table of contents for the PDF file in (1) below (Cover letter).
For (2) and (3) below, please note that applicants are required to download the Word version of the CV forms (https://www.dokkyo.ac.jp/about/recruit/) and type in the information:
(1) Cover letter (include e-mail address, possible teaching day(s) and times, a list of relevant courses taught and textbooks and ICT/LMSs used, and a table of contents for the PDF file.
(2) Curriculum Vitae (with photo attached)
(3) List of publications and research/educational activities
(4) Copy of one representative research publication (besides master’s thesis)
(5) Copy of the applicant’s final degree certificate/diploma
(6) Copy of certificate of English / Japanese proficiency (TOEIC, TOEFL, or Japanese-Language Proficiency Test, etc.)
Applications must be received no later than November 18, 2020 (Wednesday) through the JREC-IN Portal Web application system.
11. Selection process
Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview on Dec 19, 2020 (Sat).
Please note that transportation expenses will not be reimbursed.
NOTE: Depending on the situation with the novel coronavirus, interviews may be conducted remotely using an online video conference system. If this becomes necessary, we will provide the candidates with further details by e-mail.
12. Notification of results
Successful candidates will be notified directly. Applicants’ personal information will be handled with the utmost care, and will not be used for any purpose other than selection.
Hiromi Mitani <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Associate Professor, Faculty of Law
Chair, Interdepartmental English Language Program
14. Additional information
(1) The Interdepartmental English Language Program is a coordinated program that stresses “English for General Academic Purposes” (EGAP). Students from the following faculties and departments take courses in the program: Faculty of Foreign Languages (Depts. of German and French), Faculty of Economics (Depts. of Economics, Management Science, and Economics on Sustainability), and Faculty of Law (Depts. of Law, International Legal Studies, and Policy Studies). There are approximately 90 teachers in the program. We seek to hire cooperative teachers who understand the goals and objectives of the program and participate actively to achieve them.
(2) See the university homepage (Program and Employment information) for more information:
Applications must be received no later than November 18, 2020 (Wednesday) through the JREC-IN Portal Web application system (https://jrecin.jst.go.jp/seek/SeekTop?ln=1).