The World Language Center invites applications from candidates with strong records including management, CEFR, learner autonomy, humanistic education, CLIL, task or project-based learning.
We currently have at least two vacancies for experienced TESOL professionals as Full-time Lecturers. We invite applications from candidates with strong records including management, CEFR, learner autonomy, humanistic education, CLIL, task or project-based learning, and Japanese language ability. Please note that these are senior positions that would suit professionals with experience in the above areas who are looking for the next challenge. However, an entry-level position may also become available for a Special Full-time Lecturer.
Address: 1-236 Tangi-machi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-8577
Number of positions: At least two
Starting date: April 2021
Deadline for applications: 11 September 2020
Applicants must have a PhD or master's degree in TESOL or a related area.
They should also have at least three years of university classroom teaching and at least three research publications.
Strong backgrounds in at least some of the following are highly desired: course or program management, learner autonomy, CEFR syllabus alignment, humanistic education, 4-skills EAP courses, CLIL, and task or project-based learning.
Japanese applicants and non-Japanese applicants with demonstrated Japanese proficiency of at least JLPT level 2 are encouraged to apply.
The Full-time Lecturers (契約専任講師 in the Soka University system) or a Special Full-time Lecturer (英語 嘱託講師) will be employed on three-year contracts, with a possibility of two three-year extensions for a total of nine years, depending on recommendations by the WLC Human Resources Committee.
(1) Salary: According to Soka University's Salary regulations, based on qualifications, experience, and age.
(2) Research Allowance: ¥430,000 annually.
(3) Attendance: 4 days per week, 8-khoma equivalent during semester
(4) Commuting Allowance
Special Full-time lecturers
(1) Salary: ¥4.5 million
(2) Research Allowance: ¥180,000 annually.
(3) Attendance: 3 days per week, 8-khoma equivalent during semester
(4) Commuting Allowance
Applications and Selection
1. Application materials
(1) Cover letter
(2) CV in English
(3) Names and contact details of three supervisors or senior colleagues who can provide references.
We will contact them for confidential references if you are selected for an interview. Please
include the contact details in the CV.
(4) One copy each of three publications
2. Selection Process
(1) Short-listed candidates will be informed by 20 September.
(2) Interviews will be held on Sunday, 27 September between 10:00 and 16:00 using Zoom. Each interview will take approximately 45 to 60 minutes. Candidates are responsible for any costs incurred to participate in the interview.
(3) Selected publications of short-listed candidates will be evaluated for relevance and rigor.
(4) Successful candidates will be informed in early January, and will then meet with the university’s President and Chairman of the Board of Trustees before final confirmation.
3. Contact details
(1) Application materials must be submitted in English as attachments by email to email@example.com.
(2) Please direct all enquiries about the positions or the selection process to Mr. Colin Rundle, WLC Assistant Director
Mr. Colin Rundle
WLC Assistant Director