Part-time ESL Instructor Opening at Temple University, Japan Campus in Tokyo
Bridge Program Instructors for Grammar/Writing Courses
Academic English Program
Part-time (one-semester based contract)
These positions are only available to applicants who are eligible to work in Japan (the position does not include visa sponsorship).
Salary & Benefits
In accordance with the pay scale determined and used in the program.
Overview of Position
The Bridge Program is a 3-tiered entry-level university program for non-native English-speaking undergraduate students who need additional academic and linguistic support before matriculation. We are looking for instructors to teach one or more grammar-for-writing courses for 2020 Summer. These courses run from May 25 through July 17. Some courses meet every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; others meet every Tuesday and Thursday. Classes are scheduled at some time between 8:40 and 19:45.
The syllabus for this course will be set; instructors will not need to prepare a syllabus of their own. In accordance, instructors of these courses should be ready and willing to teach the texts prepared by the academic coordinator. Instructors will determine for themselves the assignment types, due dates, and scheduling of assignments, pending a final approval from the academic coordinator.
Please see more information at this link:
• Attend our program’s kickoff meeting on Thursday, May 21 (before classes begin)
• Collaborate and meet with the program’s academic coordinator periodically
• Effectively teach American English grammar, style, and tone for the purpose of academic writing; effectively teach students how to workshop essays for grammatical accuracy and clarity
• Conference with students during office hours (1 hour per course per week required)
• Give feedback on student work
Qualifications & Experiences
• Master's degree or higher in TESOL, linguistics, English, or another related field; ABD or doctorate preferred.
• Native-level proficiency speaker of English
• More than two years of university teaching experience preferred
• Knowledge of the U.S. college system preferred
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
1. a cover letter highlighting relevant experience and what appeals to you about the position;
2. full academic/professional c.v.;
3. two references and their contact information.
Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the email subject box. Also, we would appreciate it very much if you could let us know which website/resource you found out about this position.
Only those applicants who make it past the initial review will be contacted.