Tenured Full-time Elementary School (Math, Science and/or English) Position at a Private Catholic School (12/31)

Notre Dame Seishin Elementary School (NDSE) is seeking an experienced teacher for Math, Science and/or English in a partial-immersion program. This is a tenured position so prospective applicants are expected to have a long-term commitment to work at our school.

Job details: 

Location: Notre Dame Seishin Women's University Affiliated Elementary School
Okayama City

At NDSE, we have unique partial-immersion program. Students will study core subjects of Math, Science and English in a full-immersion environment. Other subjects will be taught in Japanese. Around 30% of time they are speaking in English and the remaining 70% is in Japanese with their homeroom teacher. We follow the Japanese national curriculum for Math and Science. While we teach in English, their final tests are in Japanese. Therefore, teachers applying must have a unique composition of experience and skills necessary for this position. The first year will be a probationary period and, upon mutual agreement to renew, the next contract will be automatically renewed until retirement. This is a wonderful opportunity for professionals looking to settle down in one place with long-term security.

Requirements :

Bachelor degree or higher
Minimum 2 years of teaching experience in Japan.
Native English Level Proficiency
Valid working visa
A long-term commitment
Member of the Catholic Faith, Protestant Faith or at least be willing to participate in school religious practices (morning prayer, special mass etc.) with a positive attitude.

Duties/Responsibilities:

English immersion subject instruction.
Working with Japanese homeroom teachers and parents.
Assessment of student progress.
Communicating student progress with parents and homeroom teachers.
Curriculum revision and development.
Participation in all school events and training.
Involvement in all club, committee and sub-committee responsibilities.
Being an upstanding member of your own community and neighborhood.

Weighted preference will be given to applicants with (not inclusive):

-Additional certification in fields of ESL/EFL/Early Childhood Education.
-Extensive experience teaching in Elementary schools or with young children.
-An elementary school teaching licence from an accredited educational organization.  
-Demonstrative commitment to professional development.
-Communicative level of Japanese.
-Adequate foundation with Japanese Kanji.
-Some ICT skills.
-Ability to put school teaching principles into practice and plan effective lessons.
-Ability and experience teaching students for whom English is not their first language
-Ability to read Japanese teacher's manuals and textbooks and express content in a meaningful, and interesting way.
-Mental stability to handle the rigors of lesson observation, peer assessment and schedule adjustments.
-Some experience with communicative, TBL, CLIL, and/or project-based learning approaches.

Compensation:
Salary is in accordance with the pay scale for municipal Okayama school teachers.
Bonus: Twice a year (June and December)
Insurance: Health insurance, pension, unemployment insurance, workmen’s
compensation insurance.

Selection Process:
1. CV/Cover Letter Screening.
2. Only applicants chosen from (1) will be contacted for a video interview. (2nd screening)
3. The final applicants chosen from (2) will be asked for a face to face interview in English and some Japanese.

Application Submission:
Send your CV/Cover letter in PDF format with a scanned photo to:

Nathan Nishi
nathan@ndsu-e.ed.jp

1st-Application Period Starts October 23rd, 2019.

Special Note: I will be available for a casual meet and greet during JALT 2019 Nagoya in the Job Information Center (JIC) room on Saturday from 1:30-3:00 and Sunday from 2:00-3:30. You can ask me any questions you may have about our school. Feel free to email me if you would like to meet at a certain time between those hours. If you wish to pass me your CV/Cover letter there, you are more than welcome. Please note, due to the large number of applicants I will not be responding to every CV/Cover letter given, but only those which qualify for the second screening. 

 

Deadline: 
Tuesday, December 31, 2019
Contact details: 

Notre Dame Seishin Elementary School 岡山県岡山市北区伊福町2-16-9 〒700-8516