Senior Assistant Lecturer in English Language Teaching required by the Sojo International Learning Center from April 2020.
Sojo University is a private university with around 4,000 students and a focus on science and engineering. The Sojo International Learning Center (SILC) is responsible for delivering the university’s compulsory foreign language program, as well as offering some specialist classes, and supporting the use of English throughout the university community.
This position is initially for a period of two years, with the option to renew twice for additional two-year contracts subject to certain conditions (maximum 6 years total). There are excellent opportunities for research and professional development.
1) Teaching duties. Eight 90-minute classes per week during semester periods (total 30 weeks per year) as well as three hours per week in the center’s conversation lounge or skills practice areas.
2) Research and curriculum development. Lecturers are expected to contribute to systematic curriculum evaluation/renewal, as well as to participate in institutional research projects undertaken in the SILC.
3) Administrative. SILC lecturers are required to attend meetings, events and activities organized by the SILC and/or wider university.
Members of the SILC are required to attend the university for five working days per week during academic terms (typically from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm or 10.30 am to 6.30 pm).
Start of Appointment:
April 1, 2020 (successful applicants are expected to be available for an orientation program commencing March 26)
1) Masters level degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or related field
2) Two years relevant teaching experience, at secondary and/or post-secondary level
3) Can plan and deliver consistently high-quality lessons to students with diverse needs and abilities.
4) Interest in blended learning (experience of Moodle an advantage)
5) Evidence of practitioner research / scholarly engagement
6) A strong commitment to continuing professional development
7) Good interpersonal skills and the ability to establish productive working relationships with colleagues in and beyond the SILC
1) ¥5,000,000 per year (with increases on contract renewal), commuting allowance, research allowance
2) Extensive support for research and professional development
3) Generous vacation periods
Deadline for applications:
Monday, September 30, 2019
How to apply:
Applicants should submit the following documentation to the SILC Recruitment Committee, in pdf format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Completed application form (English preferred), along with pdfs of publications listed. The form should be downloaded from https://silcrecruit.weebly.com/forms.html. Note that both sections of the form (“CV” and “Achievements”) must be signed and dated.
2) Details of three people prepared to act as referees (applicants will be informed before referees are contacted)
3) Cover letter highlighting your teaching philosophy and suitability for the post (maximum 500 words).
Selected candidates will be invited to initial interviews in October via videoconferencing or in person depending on the applicant’s place of residence. Please note that additional documents may be requested as part of the selection process.
SILC Recruitment Committee: email@example.com