At least two vacancies: 1) managing and developing the WLC's Self Access Center (SAC) and its staff, including discussion forums for English and other languages, and consultation centers for writing and test-taking; 2) managing the SAC's English learning consultation service and staff.
The World Language Center (WLC) provides communicative language programs for Soka University Japan (SUJ), offering courses in general English communication, test preparation, ESP, and many foreign languages. It also boasts one of the largest self-access language learning centers in Japan.
We currently have at least two vacancies for TESOL professionals. One position will be responsible for managing and developing the WLC's Self Access Center (SAC) and its staff, including discussion forums for English and other languages, and consultation centers for writing and test-taking. Another position will manage the SAC's English learning consultation service and staff. Teaching several undergraduate classes is also required. The positions will collaborate to further develop the SAC as a central language learning hub integrated with WLC programs. Please note that these are senior positions that would suit professionals with previous experience in the above areas who are looking for the next rewarding challenge.
1-236 Tangi-machi, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-8577
Number of positions:
At least two
(1) Must have a master's degree or PhD in TESOL or a related area.
(2) At least three years of university classroom teaching
(3) At least three research publications.
(4) Strong backgrounds in at least some of the following are highly desired: self-access center management, self-access language learning and facilitation, 4-skills EAP course design and teaching, CEFR syllabus alignment, and student advising.
(5) Any other administrative experience would be highly regarded.
(6) Japanese applicants and non-Japanese applicants with demonstrated Japanese proficiency of at least JLPT level 2 are encouraged to apply.
The full-time lecturers (equivalent to sennin koushi in the SUJ system) will be employed on three-year contracts, with a possibility of two three-year extensions for a total of nine years, dependent on recommendations by the WLC Human Resources Committee. Note that these are not tenured or tenure-track positions.
(1) Salary: According to Soka University's Salary regulations
(2) Research Allowance: ¥430,000 annually.
(3) Commuting Allowance: According to Soka University's Salary regulations
(4) Social Insurance: “The Promotion and Mutual Aid Corporation for Private Schools of Japan" (Health insurance, Employee's Pension, Nursing care Insurance), Employment Insurance, and Workers' Accident Compensation Insurance
(5) Tax: Residence tax (local tax) and income tax (national tax)
(6) Attendance: 4 days per week, 8-khoma equivalent during semester
1. Application materials
(1) Updated resume in English
(2) Cover letter
(3) Names and contact details of three employers or colleagues who will be contacted and asked for confidential references if you are selected for an interview
(4) One copy each of three publications
2. Selection Process
(1) Short-listed candidates will be informed by 20 September.
(2) Interviews will be held on Sunday, 29 September on the campus of Soka University, Hachioji, Tokyo, between 10:00 and 16:00, and will take approximately 45 to 60 minutes. Candidates are responsible for all transportation costs to the interview.
(3) Successful candidates will be informed by early November, and will then meet with the university’s President and Chairman of the Board of Trustees before final confirmation.
(1) Application materials in English should preferably be submitted by email as attachments.
(2) Hardcopy documents may be submitted, but will not be returned.
(3) If you have any questions about the positions or the selection process, please contact Colin Rundle - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mr. Colin Rundle
WLC Assistant Director
World Language Center
1-236 Tangi-cho, Hachioji-shi
Tokyo 192-8577 Japan