"Shokutaku" Full-Time English Language Instructors (SFELI) are hired on contracts for one-year terms renewable up to four times subject to approval by the screening committee.
Please make sure to visit our website for more details. http://en.ritsumeikan-trust.jp/info/employment/
1. Job Description / Responsibilities
(1) Each SFELI will teach an average of ten credit-hours (koma) per week per semester (one credit-hour is 90 minutes).
(2) SFELI will also be asked to perform various duties related to education at our institution.
(3) SFELI may be invited to teach additional classes at the Center for Language Acquisition (CLA) at Ritsumeikan University for additional remuneration. Intensive classes during summer and spring vacations may be offered.
2. Qualifications for Employment
(1) Candidates must be capable of teaching English as a foreign language.
(2) Candidates must have at least a master's degree at the time of application, with a relevant research field in an area such as the following: TESL/TEFL/TESOL, Applied Linguistics (including CALL and other language education technologies, testing, etc.), Linguistics, Intercultural Communication, and Area Studies.
(3) Candidates must have experience teaching non-native students of English.
It may be desirable for candidates to have experience teaching CALL, CLIL, remedial classes for learners with limited English language proficiency, and/or TOEFL/TOEIC preparation courses.
(4) It would be desirable for candidates to have obtained their qualifying degree within ten years of applying for the SFELI position.
(5) A level of Japanese language proficiency which enables them to communicate effectively in classes in Japanese if necessary and to handle daily administrative affairs will be required.
＊Those who have an employment contract with the Ritsumeikan Trust in the academic year 2019 are unable to apply.
3. Number of Openings for the SFELI Position and Term of Employment
Number of positions available: A few positions available
Term of employment: April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021
(Annual contract, renewable up to four times subject to approval by the screening committee.)
*A Shokutaku Instructor shall not be hired after the first March 31 following the day on which he or she turns a full 70 years of age.
Language Education Center
5. Place of Work
One or two of these campuses:
Ritsumeikan University’s Kinugasa Campus (KIC), Biwako Kusatsu Campus (BKC), or Osaka Ibaraki Campus (OIC).
6. Conditions of Employment
Monthly Salary: ¥350,500, Summer Bonus: ¥500,000, Year-end Bonus: ¥500,000 (Total Remuneration: ¥5,206,000)
A Commuting Allowance and other benefits will be provided according to the rules of Ritsumeikan Trust.
*Additional remuneration shall be paid to SFELI who teach additional classes as referred to in 1 (3) above.
*Medical Insurance: SFELIs are required to join the Mutual Aid Association of Private School Personnel (Shigaku Kyosai) during the term of their employment at Ritsumeikan University. Ritsumeikan Trust and the SFELI shall pay a prorated cost in accordance with Japanese law. Please be advised that all SFELIs are required to join the Shigaku Kyosai pension scheme as well, and that fees for both the pension and health insurance plans will be deducted from the SFELI’s salary each month.
7. Application Materials (Submit application materials through the Online Application Form)
(1) Please access our employment information page (http://en.ritsumeikan-trust.jp/info/employment/) and download the application form.
(2) Please prepare electronic versions of the documents below in order to submit them through the Online Application Form.
・ Application form
・ A photocopy of the original certificate of your highest academic degree earned.
・ A list of publications and conference presentations. (No particular format.)
・ Abstracts of up to three of your academic papers. (Please limit them to 500 words in English or 400 characters in Japanese. No particular format.)
・ A photocopy of your original TESL/TEFL/TESOL certificate if you have such a qualification.
(3) You can access the Application page from our employment information page. Please fill in the designated information and upload your documents by the date and time indicated in “8. Application Deadline”.
* If you are invited for interview, you will be asked to bring your original certificate of the highest academic degree earned to the interview.
*E-mailed applications will not be accepted.
*Please be sure to include all relevant information on our official application forms and do not attach a separate CV or other personal documents.
*Any personal information that we have obtained through your application will be handled in accordance with the ‘Protection of Personal Information Act’ and will be used strictly for identifying candidates for the positions only.
8. Application Deadline
Only applications that are submitted through the Online Application Form no later than 1:00 pm (JST) on August 20th, 2019 will be accepted.
9. Interviews / Selection results
If you are invited to this interview, you will be informed by Monday, September 9th by e-mail.
Short-listed candidates will be interviewed either on September 28th or 29th, 2019.
Applicants will be notified of the selection process results in end of November 2019 (scheduled).
* Inquiries on the selection process results cannot be answered individually.
Smoking is prohibited throughout the entire premises of Ritsumeikan University and no smoking spaces are provided.
11. Contact for Inquiries
Office of Language Education Planning and Development (Gengo Kyoiku Kikaku-ka)
Ritsumeikan University Osaka Ibaraki Campus
Yuta Mitsuzumi, Saori Mimura
Tel: +81-72-665-2061 Fax: +81-72-665-2059 Email: email@example.com
Office of Language Education Planning and Development
Ritsumeikan University, Osaka Ibaraki Campus
Yuta Mitsuzumi, Saori Mimura
TEL: (+81) 072-665-2061 FAX: (+81) 072-665-2059