Part-time ESL teaching position at Temple University Japan Campus in Tokyo
Academic English Program
Part-time (one-semester based contract)
Various (please refer to the schedule listed below)
This position is only available to applicants who are eligible to work in Japan (the position does not include visa sponsorship).
Salary & Benefits
In accordance with the pay scale determined and used in the program. Commensurate with experience.
Overview of Positions
The Bridge Program is a 3-tiered entry-level university program for undergraduate students who need additional academic support. This position is for the following courses for the 2019 Summer (May 27 – July 31).
1. Grammar (2 meetings per week [2 hrs. 15 min. each]; Tues. & Thurs., 11:10-13:25 and/or 14:20-16:35):
a. Purpose: This course helps students develop grammatical accuracy.
b. Requirements: Instructors must use Betty Azar’s Understanding & Using English Grammar. While we introduce students to global Englishes, as an American university, we teach and test on American grammar and spelling.
● Under program guidelines, prepare a syllabus by May 23 (before classes begin)
● Attend our program’s kickoff meeting on May 23 (before classes begin)
● Follow the program’s direction and the plan outlined on the syllabus as best as possible
● Teach classes (16 meetings in the Summer semester)
● Conference with students during office hours (1 hour per course per week required)
● Give feedback on student work
● Submit midterm grades on June 20 and final grades by July 29
Qualifications & Experience
● Native-level speaker of English
● Master's degree or higher in TESOL or a related field is required
● More than two-years of university teaching experience; knowledge of the U.S. college system is preferred
● Prefer instructors who can continue to teach this course throughout the year
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
1. a letter of application;
2. a resume or c.v.;
3. contact information for two references.
Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the email subject box. Also, we would appreciate it very much if you could let us know from which website/resource you found out about this position.
Only those applicants who make it past the initial review will be contacted.